CULT: chemicals (was Re: OT: Moles)

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>Sorry to get on my high horses, but I must reiterate Bill Shears
>constant plea - don't use chemicals unless all other methods fail, and
>unless it is absolutely necessary!

I saw a gardening program on television over the weekend.  This guy used a
home made pesticide that was totally organic and swore that it kept most
insect pests off of his vegetable garden.

He took garlic cloves, chives, and rosemary (I think) and wrapped them up
in a handkerchief.  Then he bashed it with a hammer (to release the juices)
and soaked it in water to make a "tea" out of it overnight.

He transfered the "tea" to a spray can, added some liquid soap to help it
stick to his plants, then applied it to his tomatoes & veggie garden, etc.

It doesn't kill pests, it doesn't kill beneficial insects, it doesn't harm
humans or pets.  It works by creating a foul smell that drives pests away.

I remember "I wonder if..."-ing with some people on this list last year
about doing such a thing with cayenne peppers.  Well, it seems we were on
the right track!  I am going to try this "stinky tea" idea by applying it
to some plants, but not to others....to see how effective it really is.

My biggest problem has been aphids.  And he said it works great against them.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
http://www.onelist.com
Sign up for a new email list today