Re: CULT: chemicals (was Re: OT: Mole

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
>garlic cloves, chives, and rosemary (I think) and wrapped them up
>> in a handkerchief.  Then he bashed it with a hammer (to release the
>>juices)  a
>nd soaked it in water to make a "tea" out of it overnight.
>Any information on how well it worked?

He said it worked like a charm on his vegetable garden.  Since some veggie
pests are also iris pests (like aphids), I imagine similar brews would work
for flower gardens.

I noticed something last year.  I had aphid problems in spring except in
one flower bed where I had neglected to pull weeds.  I deduced that the
weeds were providing shelter to beneficial insects which were keeping the
aphids under control.

So this year I have not pulled weeds (not since last fall) and indeed I do
not see any aphid colonies on any of my irises....anywhere.  (I also kept
the "skeletons" of the zinnias, bee balm, and other plants in place over
winter to provide more shelter for the good bugs.)

I don't know if this is really what's going on, but it sure seems that way.
Besides, for me it means less weeding, and fewer insect pests....win-win!
When the "real" garden plants come up, then I'll pull the weeds.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services