Re: OT:Gophers & amonia/bleach

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

JEM300@aol.com wrote:
> Lorraine,
> I'm not Dennis but I STRONGLY advise you against mixing these two chemicals.
> I was cleaning our bathroom once when I was about 13 and mixed them.  They
> give off a potent toxic gas and it nearly put me in the hospital.
> Linda Doffek

The reason this mixture would work on gophers in an enclosed space is that it
makes a toxic gas (surpise, surprise)  :>)). That also means that it is toxic
to humans, specifically, if you breathe enough of it, it will eat away the
mucous membranes of your throat and lungs and you will die.

From various web sources:

Bleaches + ammonia produce chloramines

Chloramines are similar to chlorine gas, but appear to be worse.  They are
water soluble, therefore they dissolve in the mucous membranes of air passages
and give immediate irritation.

I could not find any informationon how much it would take.

Lorraine, I suggest a phone call to your local Ag agent and see what they have
to say. I wouldn't mix these together unless I had a full enclosure body suit
and air supply.

Rick and Roger at Superstition had an interesting and effective solution. They
dug a trench 2 feet deep (I think) around their garden and lined it with wire
mesh extending 6 in above ground. Once they got rid of the gophers inside the
fence, no more gophers.

I once rented a ditch witch and dug some trenches and watched for where the
gophers plugged up the holes. I then oepned up the holes (which because of the
depth were runs, not feeding tunnels) stuck in some of the poison grain and
plugged up the holes. No more gophers.

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate