From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.Lakeheadu.Ca>

April 5-   Ian, in Ottawa said:

<The level of variation [in I. Versicolor] is very unlikely
to differ across the eastern half of the continent.>

I've read that all the 'original' I. Versicolor and I.
Setosa from this area (Canadian shield) were removed along
with most of the soil by the last ice age, 8-10 thousand
years ago. Now there are no I. Setosa here. I wondered if
this ice age had eliminated most of the variation in I.
Versicolor, here. Perhaps only those few sites at the
extreme southern edge of the ice flow would have furnished
seed to be carried by waterfowl to replant this very large

Perhaps more 'original' sites of I. Versicolor and I. Setosa
were not destroyed by this last ice age in the eastern parts
of the continent, and that would have left more variation in
I. Versicolor in the eastern parts of the continent than in
the northern midwest.

Dan Mason   zone 3, NW Ontario

Where Sand Hill Cranes returned yesterday, a few robins have
been around a week, and rain is turning the remaining snow
to slush.

Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!