HIST: SPEC: Donald's Homested Purple

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: HIST: SPEC: Donald's Homested Purple
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 06:49:25 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Anner wrote:

> My
> germanica is not an heirloom, except in that it is implicitly an
> heirloom in
> all gardens of European descent, but I cherish it. I'm not sure which
> form I
> have. The species complex is pretty variable, and as far as I can tell
> the
> taxonomy is all screwed up.

Anner, can you say more about the last sentence?  I have gotten the
impression that "germanica" is a catch-all name for most of the older
supposed triploids with similar growth habits, but it all seems to be
one type in this general area. Mine do best growing under the eaves of
my unguttered tin roof, where they must get several hundred inches of
rainwater each year, not to mention leaf mulch from nearby trees.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!