HIST: SPEC: I. germanica

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings,

Linda Mann, following up on something I said about I. germanica being a
variable species complex with some issues of nomenclature still under
discussion by those in a position to discuss that sort of thing, said:

<<Anner, can you say more about the last sentence?  I have gotten the
impression that "germanica" is a catch-all name for most of the older
supposed triploids with similar growth habits, but it all seems to be one
type in this general area.>>

From "A Guide to Species Irises, Their Identification and Cultivation"
[Cambridge, 1997] edited by the Species Group of the British Iris Society,
p.27. The essay is by Nigel Service.

' It is still not possible to have a clear picture of I. germanica; it
remains an enigma despite being so widely grown. This is a highly evolved
complex of more or less closely related irises and, as envisioned by Mathew
(1989), whom I have mainly followed here, includes a number of what I suppose
I must loosely term "near species" at present, which were previously regarded
as distinct.'

And on pp. 31-34 are listed and discussed the "forms of I. germanica proper",
including Vulgaris, which Sevice notes that W.R. Dykes said was the commonest
form in England and apparently also in the USA.

The Mathew book referred to is Brian Mathew, "The Iris", second edition.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
http://www.ONElist.com
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!