HIST: Essays on Oldies

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Greetings,

Walta, that silver tongued devil, said:

<<	In this post Donald and Anner have whetted the appetites of
long-established listers/talkers who await axiously Anner's finds in the back
alley tours of Richmond and Chesterfield county.  Her wordsmithing takes you
there.  Hang on; it can't be long now until this masterpiece  scrolls down
your screen.  Don't miss it.>>

Well, we'll see.

I've got several articles I've got to crank out. I'm working on one now about
a garden restoration HIPS helped with at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. It's
another Olmsted Brothers garden, like the one at the Frederick Law Olmsted
National Historic Site in Brookline, Mass. that we helped with last year.

I like older irises and I'm interested not just in the plants but also in how
they have been part of people's lives and their gardens.  Many of the oldies
are still here because they are tough, but some are also still with us
because they have been cherished for generations. This says something.
Anyway, I've posted a couple of  Alley Irises 'essayettes' ---by which I mean
unpolished little musings ---on the older irises found here and there in my
own town. Some people have liked them a lot. They are in the Archives.

What I'd really like to see this year is other folks talking about what's
growing in their neighborhoods.This isn't the only older burg in the country
and you don't have to know what the names of what you are seeing are to find
them and appreciate them. HIPS doesn't know what they all are either, and
that is part of the fun. My guess is there are a whole lot of oldies
scattered across the urbs and older suburbs of the Eastern corridor.
Certainly there should be cool things in New York and Massachusetts where so
much iris history was made. But hybridizing and collecting was happening in a
lot of places.

It's a real nice thing to do on a Sunday afternoon, to just get in the car
with a little pad of paper for a few notes and maybe your camera...... and go
chase the rainbows!

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society
HIPSource@aol.com

Has ONElist changed your life?
http://www.ONElist.com
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!