Re: HIST: SPEC: I. germanica

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>Linda Mann, following up on something I said about I. germanica being a
>variable species complex with some issues of nomenclature still under
>discussion by those in a position to discuss that sort of thing, said:
><<Anner, can you say more about the last sentence?  I have gotten the
>impression that "germanica" is a catch-all name for most of the older
>supposed triploids with similar growth habits, but it all seems to be one
>type in this general area.>>
>From "A Guide to Species Irises, Their Identification and Cultivation"
>[Cambridge, 1997] edited by the Species Group of the British Iris Society,
>p.27. The essay is by Nigel Service.
>' It is still not possible to have a clear picture of I. germanica; it
>remains an enigma despite being so widely grown. This is a highly evolved
>complex of more or less closely related irises and, as envisioned by Mathew
>(1989), whom I have mainly followed here, includes a number of what I suppose
>I must loosely term "near species" at present, which were previously regarded
>as distinct.'
>And on pp. 31-34 are listed and discussed the "forms of I. germanica proper",
>including Vulgaris, which Sevice notes that W.R. Dykes said was the commonest
>form in England and apparently also in the USA.
>The Mathew book referred to is Brian Mathew, "The Iris", second edition.
>Anner Whitehead
Dear Anner. Linda and all:  I have the very highest resptect for what must
be I. germanica. It began to bloom all of three weeks ago, and went through
several deep frosts without showing any permanent damage!! One morning the
top of the stalk was bent way over, and I thought, Well,it has really had
it this time. Later in the same day it had straightened up and an open
bloom had rearranged itself into normality!!  The clump is growing in a
protected spot at Durham Academy A clump of modern TB blue is close by. it
has been in bloom several days, whereas no tall is yet open here, tho'
several are showing color.  I did have a seedling from MESMERIZER X BUZZ
BEE open  two days ago. It is not much, but it does have the beginings of
horns. Today I have three little stalks on a short SDB blue that may
qualify as an MTB. The flower is very smooth, and has quite obvious horns
on all placements. It is a sib to the white with flounces that I mentioned
last year.  Also ssome nice yellow amoenas, - wide, with good form, and a
couple of chartreuse-green amoenas (quite green)> Lloyd Zurbrigg ,Durham NC

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US