Re: SPEC: I. verna in bloom

From: Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@mail.snider.net>

Yes, grow wild in the "yard" (66 acres of ex-timberland). They are the blue
form with orange signals. Celia Storey took pictures of a few the last
couple of years. I believe that they are posted on Rodney Barton's species
iris webpage: http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/I_verna.html

The stands are located at the base of tall oak trees in sandy, acid soil.
One is on top of a hill in partially open woodland conditions but sheltered
from most rain by the tree. It gets quite hot and dry here during summer.
The other is about 40 feet lower on a slope in more open conditions and
gets considerable rain runoff passing over it. Neither stand has increased
much in the last 5 years. These are wild: I neither feed nor water them.
The most that I do is keep the grass and weeds from choking out the lower
stand. I have spotted a few others growing on neighbors' property a few
years ago, but have not seen them recently. Victims of development? It is
possible that I have others elsewhere in uncleaned-up areas, but if I don't
catch them in bloom they are easy to overlook.

Beth Matney <bmatney@mail.snider.net>
central Arkansas USDA zone 7b

>Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:19:50 -0400
>From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>
>
>>I have wild (native) stands of I. verna in bloom. Anyone in central
>>Arkansas who wish to see it is welcome, but it doesn't bloom long....
>
>Oooh...I'm jealous.  Do you have these growing wild in your yard?
>
>Are they the blue form or the white form?  Orange signals or yellow?
>
>I have a couple dozen large (50+ feet tall) pine trees and I've thought
>about introducing some Iris verna & Iris cristata.  I think they'd do
>nicely under the pines.
>
>Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
http://www.ONElist.com
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!