OT: bees and such

From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@quantum.com>

I do not wish to make light of Bill's remarks about bees etc. But this
Spring - so far - I have seen lot's of European Honeybees on the flowering
trees. In the past 2 years the number of Bumble and other sorts of native
bees seemed to be on the rise, just as the regular honey bee population had
dropped. In the last 5 years we have had 2 separate active honey bee hives
in trees on the property, neither remained active the following Spring.
Despite the presence of these hives I did not notice more bees in my garden
- and my yard is just under  acre. What does this all mean ? I think the
native bees make small hives and do not forage over great distances - I
notice many bees in my yard because I have planted flowers to attract them,
and the 'local' population has risen. The honeybees make large hives and
prefer large fields of trees and flowers, and are willing to travel far to
find them. In any case most bees seem to be unimpressed with Iris.

Chad Schroter
Los Gatos CA Zone 9

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US