Re: TB: mystery TB (Not Dover Beach..)

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

I bow to the photo record.  We have yet to invest in a decent camera so I am
relying on my memory.  And of course my memories are of Twist of Fate at its
peak.

I stopped growing Twist of Fate after about five years because it is
somewhat rot-prone and the borers love it.  It always managed to struggle on
but I was never able to get more than three bloom stalks any year.  I only
kept it so long because I loved the form and colouring.  But it became time
to move on and try other stuff.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)

> From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
>
> I must admit, there is something to be said for having grown iris nearly
> 40
> years AND the old mantra: 'to be introduced, an iris must show
> distinction.'
>
> You do not remember them all, many are forgettable; BUT there are those
> iris that, once grown, you never forget.
>
> Twist of Fate (Cleo Palmer 1980) was such a cultivar. When Shauna sent the
> jpeg of her Mystery TB, something clicked, and I muttered; "I have grown,
> and admired you." I went into my slide collection (way back!) and dredged
> up a shot of T.o.F that I took in the early eighties and it was pretty
> well
> a dead ringer. Yclept one taken from the side, one taken in the rain, the
> other high shade, one 18 year old Ektachrome the other a video cam, they
> were twins.
>
> Let's hear it for hybridizers who truly buy into the 'It MUST Distinctive'
> rule!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
> South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A

Share the wealth!
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell a friend about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!