OT: weather and bees

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

After hearing about a beekeeper in my home town whose neighbors purposely sprayed his bees "to keep them from hurting" his apple trees, we decided to incorporate a bit of bee education in our garden tours as well as visits to other sites.

Garden visitors can see 'up close and personal' areas where Bumblers are encouraged to build nests and watch our Honeys at work (and sample some of the product if we haven't already sold out.) We also make a habit of pointing out the various numbers and types of native bees and try to teach, not only about the plants they rely on during different parts of the season, but also about such essentials as a bee-friendly watering hole. Even yellow jackets are tolerated as long as they behave themselves.

Oddly, the biggest hurdle has been getting people to see the relationship pollination plays in creating seed and fruit. You wouldn't believe the number of people who never wonder where food comes from as long as it keeps magically showing up at the grocery store.  :)

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b
http://www.povn.com/rock/
snow this morning; sunshine and honeybees flying now!

Share the wealth!
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell a friend about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!