Re: OT: bees and such

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Chad Schroter wrote:
> From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@quantum.com>
> I do not wish to make light of Bill's remarks about bees etc. But this
> Spring - so far - I have seen lot's of European Honeybees on the flowering
> trees. In the past 2 years the number of Bumble and other sorts of native
> bees seemed to be on the rise, just as the regular honey bee population had
> dropped. In the last 5 years we have had 2 separate active honey bee hives
> in trees on the property, neither remained active the following Spring.
> Despite the presence of these hives I did not notice more bees in my garden
> - and my yard is just under * acre. What does this all mean ? I think the
> native bees make small hives and do not forage over great distances - I
> notice many bees in my yard because I have planted flowers to attract them,
> and the 'local' population has risen. The honeybees make large hives and
> prefer large fields of trees and flowers, and are willing to travel far to
> find them. In any case most bees seem to be unimpressed with Iris.

The honeybee got knocked back pretty badly by the tracheal mite (along with
the Verroa mite), but without bees to prey on the mite population decreased.
So now natural populations of honeybees are coming back. It will oscillate and
find some new equilibrium.

Bees will travel 3 - 5 miles to food sources but don't necessarily build hives
right on top of the food source, rather prefering to find a sheltered enclosed
place. Bees are not typically attracted to iris nor are hummingbirds (in my
experience) more the shame...

We too have plants the bees like, and Wraith likes to snack on the girls. It
is really interesting. He will watch them until they take flight, then a quick
snap and no more bee. They must taste sweet or something. Our previous
shepherd did the same thing (but she was better at it). Don't know why they
don't get stung in the mouth.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!