Re: Hello and Intro: Changing colors

Katherine:  Welcome to this bunch of happy iris fanatics.  Many people, you'll have noticed, are so enthusiastic about the blossoms they're seeing that they didn't even have time to say, "Hello."  Not to fault them; I'd probably be the same if Iowa weren't so far north we're just happy to see green leaves at this time of year.  Bloom season is several weeks away.
    The issue you raised is one recently discussed on this list (check the archives) and one that has been discussed from time to time before.   Since it is a botanical impossibility for the iris to change from one color to another, barring a sport or mutation, we look for another answer.  Judging from what you said in describing how you got your iris, when you got them, etc., I'm guessing you got more than one variety and that they were mixed in planting in your yard so that the white and the plicata (that is, the one that had white falls with a purple rim) were next to each other.  Maybe you even thought they were of the same plant, since you couldn't see exactly what you were getting.  Anyway, one of them bloomed last year, the other this year.  May I suggest you tie some sort of marker on the stalk that's blooming now, then dig that rhizome in a few weeks, plant it someplace where you can clearly identify it, and then watch to see what blooms in the original spot next year.  Unless the plicata died, I'd bet you will see it bloom next year, too.  There are other possible explanations, too, by the way, so this doesn't exhaust the possibilities.  Be assured you didn't "do anything wrong."  Meanwhile, enjoy the white!
    In any case, welcome to the realm of iris enthusiasts on the e-mail!    We get all sorts of iris subjects going here, and everyone's welcome to chime in with questions or answers or comments.  I hope you'll enjoy it along with the rest of us on the list.
Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250