Re: Hello and Intro

From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>

Hello Catherine , I know that this doesn't apply to irises but I had a
similar experience with a bright red and yellow hybrid climbing rose
that was so flashy and unattractive that I unceremoniously ripped it out
of the ground and tossed it in the compost pile in the field behind my
house.  Later that day , out of guilt , I retrieved it and planted in a
not so sunny location.  When it did bloom , it was pure white and it
totally baffled me.  I know there is no scientific explanation for this
but it did happen to me and I'm curious as to what it'll look like this
summer.  Many people have experienced the same phenomena , to some ,
it's a mistaken identity , to others , like myself , it's a mystery .

Snow is almost gone now , my rhizomes are indoors and approaching six
inches. The bulbs ,  Riticulattas (sp) , Bronze Queen , Angle Wings ,
and Purple Sensation are all growing through the remaining ice in the

Six out the eight rhizomes that I planted at the end of last September
were nothing more than sculptures of green rot ,  so for zone 5a , get
them planted at least a month earlier or start them indoors which has
proven to be a smashing success , occasionally the cats knock   over the
four inch pots that I use but the irises don't seem to mind .

Chris Darlington

Dan and Katherine Roberts wrote:
> From: "Dan and Katherine Roberts" <dankat@mail.myriad.net>
> Hello,
>         My name is Katherine, I live in Bryan, TX, zone 8, and I've been
> growing (trying) bearded irises for a couple of years.  I thought I'd sign on
> the list to learn more about how to grow and take care of irises.  I really
> love the big sohw blooms they have.  I've got questions though, so I hope
> someone doesn't mind answering them.
>         First, two years ago, I bought some irises, name unknown.  I
> bought it in the spring right after it had bloomed, so it didn't bloom that
> year.  The next year (last year), a stalk grew up, and I had 4 beautiful
> blooms (white with a ruffled reddish purple edging).  This year when it
> bloomed, it was totally white.  What did I do wrong?  Is there any way to
> "fix" it?
> Thanks for any replies, I'm looking forward to learning something,
> Katherine Roberts
> Share the wealth!
> http://www.ONElist.com
> Tell a friend about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!