Re: CULT:Katherines white iris

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT:Katherines white iris
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 06:19:18 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> Iris do not change flower colour unless they produce a 'sport' or
> somatic mutation, which is rather rare.

Not entirely true - weather can have a dramatic effect on pigment
intensity.  I didn't know that LACED COTTON, a white flower, was
actually a pale plicata, until the year the weather was just right.  And
the plicata markings on ENGLISH COTTAGE have always faded to white
almost immediately after the bloom opens here.  Cool wet weather seems
to bring out the markings more than hot dry weather.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
http://www.ONElist.com
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!