Re: CULT: bud & bloom report

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

A bud is crawling up in I. fulva.  What this means to me is that
100% of the LAs purchased last summer have bloom stalks.
Nearly all of them have already emerged from the fan so it looks
as if they will bloom with and ahead of the majority of the TBs.

Arilbred SAHRA TASH and TB EGGNOG have green buds.  Not
yellow or chartreuse, just green.  ST bloomed last night and the
bloom is not green.  Intricate patterns - very nice.

A bud has emerged on SP SUNRISE IN MISSOURI.  I didn't
expect any first year bloom on the spurias, so this is a surprise.

The Dutch iris have reached their peak.  I have them in four large
spots in the acreage here, so am enjoying the show.

Blooms this week include arilbreds AT LAST & JEWEL OF OMAR
(7 stalks - this is its 2nd year here and a good show both years).
JOO and IB CHIMERA are the greenest iris blooms I've seen.

I'm frowning at some of the TBs which are in their 2nd year here and
show no sign of bloom.  Will have to fiddle with their location and
culture, I think, and see if they can be provoked into bloom next

A bud on SIB SEA SHADOWS.  It won't get tall again, but if past
performance is any indication it will still put on a nice show.

After growing like weeds the first two years, the pseudacorus is
not adjusting to their new location.  Blooms aren't getting out of the
fans for the 2nd year in a row.  The plants themselves look much
better this year, but the stalks just aren't pushiing up tall enough.
More fertilize earlier, maybe?

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 and wishing the TBs were following the example of
the LAs.
> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> To: iris-talk@onelist.com
> Subject: [iris-talk] Re: CULT:Katherines white iris
> Date: Saturday, April 10, 1999 8:19 AM
> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> > Iris do not change flower colour unless they produce a 'sport' or
> > somatic mutation, which is rather rare.
> Not entirely true - weather can have a dramatic effect on pigment
> intensity.  I didn't know that LACED COTTON, a white flower, was
> actually a pale plicata, until the year the weather was just right.  And
> the plicata markings on ENGLISH COTTAGE have always faded to white
> almost immediately after the bloom opens here.  Cool wet weather seems
> to bring out the markings more than hot dry weather.
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
> You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list
> http://www.ONElist.com
> Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of the 115,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!