Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

> Julia Rankin wrote:
>
 > Jaime wrote:

> Wow. Thanks for all the Iris info. One thing I did not make clear is
> that the garden I have them in is in Jenner, CA,. They are on an open
> hillside and most of them get full sun. They get no fertalizer and are
> divisions from a clump of irises in an area near SantaFe, New Mexico.
> I  always had the idea that they just grew too fast in this coastal
> climate when they may have been bred for New Mexico.
> At any rate, I think these particular irises may be ill suited for
> their current homes and I should probably dig them up (does anybody need
> some? They are purple) and I should find some cultivars suited for the
> coastal zone.

Well, I would say that changes things a bit. Probably  cumulative effect of
multiple things. How long they been in place, and the wacky weather we have
had along the northern coast this year, freeze thaw cycles in Arpil notwithstanding.

Jay Hudson grows great irises on the north coast that were hybridized all over
the US, as does Larry Lauer, I don't think the problem is that they came from
New Mexico unless they are ABs or Arils/Oncos etc.

Probably just cultivation issues.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!