SPEC: Pseudacorus Growth Habits

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
> After growing like weeds the first two years, the pseudacorus is
> not adjusting to their new location.  Blooms aren't getting out of the
> fans for the 2nd year in a row.  The plants themselves look much
> better this year, but the stalks just aren't pushiing up tall enough.
> More fertilize earlier, maybe?

What are the characteristics of the new location you have planted them in?

Jan Sacks (of the Schafer-Sacks duo at Joe Pye Weed's Garden in
Massachusetts) made the following comments about the growth habits of I.
pseudacorus (cv. 'Beuron') in the Spring '98 issue of SIGNA:

"When I moved to my new home I had no appropriate wet spot for Beuron, so I
decided to stick it into a garden which is quite dry and rocky and does not
get watered often. To my great surprise the clump of Beuron has flourished,
but with some very significant differences from the clump which still grows
in the wet corner of the old field. One would think they were different
varieties. In the wet spot Beuron in a mass of grand leaves, tall and lush,
with a marvelous presentation to rival any ornamental grass. The flowers
are nice when they come, though it is not a great show, because only a few
of the top flowers are visible above the foliage. In the dry garden spot,
however, the plants bloom magnificently and the foliage is much more
subdued..... The foliage does continue to grow after bloom and remains
beautifuuly green and upright until late summer when it does begin to tire
a bit."

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US