Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

From: sidneygardener

  <<  I live in Albuquerque, NM, and I have an unidentified snakey purple
oldie that is fixing to bloom now. The spaths are purple and if it branches
its in the upper half. The unbranched stalks have three buds. The branched
have three buds with a short branch with one bud below. Maybe its I.

One of the most distinctive characteristics of I. trojana, repeatedly
mentioned in the early literature, is its low and wide branching. I.
cypriana, on the other hand, was noted for its weak, sprawly stalks. The
identities of these Middle Eastern tetraploid bearded irises became
hopelessly muddled at an early date, since their rather non-descript
purplish flowers are all rather similar in appearance, and they often
travel under the wrong name.

Did you know that we add over 1,000 new e-mail communities every day?
Explore a new hobby, discover a new friend, laugh at a new joke!