Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

 In the Cornell Bulletin 112 is says I. cypriana's spathe valves re broad, membranous and nearly wholly scarious, but it says I. germanica's spathe valves are broad and navicular much flushed with purple and scarious in the upper. Help me out here. What does navicular mean? Do some I. germanica's have snaky stalks?
>One of the most distinctive characteristics of I. trojana, repeatedly
>mentioned in the early literature, is its low and wide branching. I.
>cypriana, on the other hand, was noted for its weak, sprawly stalks.
Isn't this fun. I love detective work.
Sidney Gardener