Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

I iwll pass this along to Jaimie -- maybe she just has snaky iris like yours!
-----Original Message-----
From: sidneygardener <sidneygardener@email.msn.com>
To: iris-talk@onelist.com <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Saturday, April 10, 1999 10:42 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

Are you talking about the iris with the snaky stalks, purple flowers, and early bloom?

They are on an open
hillside and most of them get full sun. They get no fertalizer and are
divisions from a clump of irises in an area near SantaFe, New Mexico. I
always had the idea that they just grew too fast in this coastal climate
when they may have been bred for New Mexico.

I live in Albuquerque, NM, and I have an unidentified snakey purple oldie that is fixing to bloom now. The spaths are purple and if it branches its in the upper half. The unbranched stalks have three buds. The branched have three buds with a short branch with one bud below. Maybe its I. trojana?

This iris is always snakey in my yard whether its in the sun or the shade. My house was built in the forties, but the subdivision was owned my a convent so maybe the iris came down from Santa Fe with the nuns. The iris is very vigorus.

Enjoy your iris.

Sidney Gardener

Albuquerque, NM