HYB: Beard Registration and Classification

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

When I first began to register irises about twenty-five years ago, I
was informed that the beard was to be described by what one saw in
the throat.  I always thought that odd because in most cases one
would have to open the flower to discover the color in the throat.

If you will look at the R & I descriptions of beards, you will see
more descriptive information than the above.  Additional information
is helpful if it is not confusing.  A lot of beard descriptions
invite questions.

	For example...White beard tipped blue.

	Does the above mean the beard is basically white and at the tip
(end), it becomes blue?

					or

	Does it mean the base of each beard hair is white and the tip  (top)
of each beard hair is blue?

And, if you have the current Application for Registration, you will
find the beard description 'made simple.'  This is what it says:

10. Color of beards_____________________________________

 If color varies noticeably, complete the following as applicable:

By Section: End_________________Middle_______________Throat_______

By Hairs:   Tip_________________ Base______________________________

I think with Keith's last revision of the Application for
Registration, the problem has been solved, and that is why I have
quoted section 10.

It is my understanding that many hybridizers refused to use the
registration forms until rather recently.  I know I used the form
once in the 70's and that was it!  Until...  about three years ago,
Keith Keppel (AIS Registrar) told me that he was no longer accepting
registrations written on table napkins, cigarette papers, etc.  We
must come of age for the sake of accuracy and posterity!

Now we have this foolproof form (maybe, we always did), and all of us
must learn to use it properly!!

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8

New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
http://www.ONElist.com
Sign up for a new e-mail list today!