Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

From: HIPSource@aol.com

<<It means "cut it short". Occam was a medieval philosopher. "Occam's Razor"
is the name given to the principle he expounded that if a there was a
satisfactory simple explanation to a problematic situation it should be
preferred over more complex explanations.>>

In the current discussion, however, assuming that the iris in question is a
form of I. germanica if it is short overlooks the possibility that it could
be one of two Middle Eastern bitone purple tetraploids that grow to IB
height - AMAS or MACRANTHA.>>>>>>

"Cut it short" is not my construct here, nor my words.

William of Occam cautioned about entertaining multiple propositions, however
attractive they might be. The Razor says: "Entities must not be unnecessarily
multiplied."

I have no idea what the iris in question is. Nor have I suggested it is
germanica. Not even prepared to posit it is a species.

I did, however, suggest one could distinguish between germanica and trojana
without looking at the spathes.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
http://www.ONElist.com
Sign up for a new e-mail list today!