Re: HYB: Beard Registration and Classification

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 4/10/1999 3:33:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<<
 And, if you have the current Application for Registration, you will
 find the beard description 'made simple.'  This is what it says:

 10. Color of beards_____________________________________

  If color varies noticeably, complete the following as applicable:

 By Section: End_________________Middle_______________Throat_______

 By Hairs:   Tip_________________ Base______________________________

Walter,

Thanks for the clearification.  It has been four or five years since I've
registered an iris and I'd forgotten about the above form.  I was trying to
caution that a listed beard color could be deceptive.  Identifying an iris in
the flesh is hard unless it's one of a kind--distinctive.   Identifying by
descripition OR picture is much harder.

Actually, its even more confusing for the non-hybridizing irisarian than I
remembered.  Exactly which part of the beard and which part of the individual
hairs are we talking about when we say 'beard color'?  AND just how careful
and analytical was the hybridizer when he register said iris?

Betty Wilkerson from the absolutely gorgeous town of Bowling Green, KY where
the city planners really out did themselves, and the streets are lined with
every flowering tree and shrub imagionable.

Looking to expand your world?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist has over 115,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!