Re: CULT: New Mexican iris on the Coast

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

HIPSource@aol.com wrote:

> William of Occam cautioned about entertaining multiple propositions, however
> attractive they might be. The Razor says: "Entities must not be unnecessarily
> multiplied."

Hmmmm, Well in more easily intrepreted terms:

"The simplest definition of Occam's Razor is "Don't make unnecessarily
complicated assumptions". It can be used as a philosophical way of sorting the
simple theories from the complicated ones. When scientists select theories,
they don't
just use the criterion of agreement or disagreement with observations. They
also have aesthetic principles, and a desire for an elegant, universal theory.
They use these aesthetic principles to remove the cloud of trivially competing theories
that necessarily surround every theory. Occam's razor is a working rule of
thumb, not the ultimate answer."

- Cohen J., & Stewart, I. (1994). The collapse of chaos. New York: Viking
Press.

Or in more colloquial terms:

"The simplest solution to a problem is often the best solution"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!