HYB: Beard Registration and Catalog Listings

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> wmoores@watervalley.net writes:
> <<
>  And, if you have the current Application for
> Registration, you will
>  find the beard description 'made simple.'  This is what
> it says:
>  10. Color of beards_____________________________________
>   If color varies noticeably, complete the following as
> applicable:
>  By Section:
> End_________________Middle_______________Throat_______
>  By Hairs:   Tip_________________
> Base______________________________
>   >>
> From: StorYlade@aol.com
> Walter,
> Thanks for the clearification.  It has been four or five
> years since I've
> registered an iris and I'd forgotten about the above
> form.  I was trying to
> caution that a listed beard color could be deceptive.

Vince sez:

   This is why when I make my lists of descriptions of the
irises in my garden, I write down what it actually looks
like, rather than what it is described as in the Checklist
or a catalog. Some catalogs don't give the beard color at
all. It also helps to distinguish between similar irises.
   A club member puts on the description from the checklist
on all rhizomes that she brings to the sale. End up with a
lot that say "blue S, purple F", or something like that.
Not enough info there to be able to distinguish the
difference between similar varieties. That's why I find
myself adding info on beard color, haft marks, ruffling,
etc. to my list. I'll usually just have the description
from a catalog or photo initially, but will then update it
when I see it bloom. (And I am still waiting for SOMETHING
to bloom - all you CA and TX people are TORTURING us!!!)

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

Do You Yahoo!?