Re: SPECIES: CULT: trojana, cypriana, mesopotamica (was CULT: New Mexican iris...)

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: SPECIES: CULT: trojana, cypriana, mesopotamica (was CULT: New Mexican iris...)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 09:47:30 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Mike Lowe in Virginia wrote:
> Another discriminator between germanica, (44 chr), trojana (48 chr) and
> cypriana (48 chr) in your garden is that unless you live in Southern
> California it will take heroic measures to keep trojana and cypriana
> alive.
> (I have never bloomed either and have given up on attempting to grow
> them
> let alone ever succeeding in blooming them)

Mike - do you remember if they succumbed over the winter from freeze
damage or in the summer from heavy rain after drought or from "overhead
watering" [=rain] in hot weather?  Or all of the above? Or something
else?

Did you ever try to grow I. mesopotamica?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
curious about how irises die & wondering how they'd do farther south