Re: Bloom Report

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

'Black Cherry Delight' and 'Pele' opened on the same day this weekend for
the first bearded bloom in my garden.  Iris lactea is also in bloom,
anomalously on 4-inch stems, before the foliage has scarcely developed.
Dutch iris showing color, bloomstalks up on TBs and IBs.

Sadly, our big planting of azaleas in the front of the house among the
pines will have no blooms this year.  When we lose bloom it is usually a
late frost, but the only thing I can attribute this to is last year's
drought, causing a failure to set buds.  Azaleas in the woodland garden,
which was watered, are doing wonderfully.

AND that wonderful fragrance in the back garden is Buford holly in bloom!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
http://www.ONElist.com
Come join one of the 115,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!