OT: other plants

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

I went on my first iris hunting expedition yesterday to a nearby state
park.  I knew my chances were slim to none of finding irises (too early to
be in bloom), but I found oodles of other cool wildflowers.  With my handy
field guide "Wildflowers of Ohio" I was able to identify over 90% of what I
found.  Much to my amazement, nearly half were species introduced from
Europe.  The forest floors were covered with Dutchman's Breeches in full
bloom, Phlox, Cut-Leafed Toothwort, and even some red trilliums.  I also
found some wild roses the hard way if you know what I mean (ouch!).  I
won't tell you where they snagged me...it would be impolite!  And I kept
finding huges patches of these odd multi-colored splotched green/dark
green/light green oval shaped leaves.  Finally I remembered reading about a
"fawn lily" and a "trout lily" which had splotchy-colored leaves and sure
enough, I checked my field guide and what I found was colonies of
Erythroniums not yet in bloom.  Oh, and all the Mayapples were just
emerging from the ground.  What a sight!  OH!  And lots of violas...purple
& yellow ones.  Very cool indeed.

In unrelated news, my iris cristatas that I got from Foxbrook last year are
increasing like gang-busters.  I got the "alba" form, which I thought
someone here had told me was a slow increaser.  But each individual rz last
year is now a clump of 3 to 7 rzs this year.  Is that a normal rate??
Seems like it would be to me, but I have not grown these before.  I don't
detect any buds on them, but it might still be too early to expect that
sort of thing.

  Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
    Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
            http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1