CULT:Katherines white iris

From: "Dan and Katherine Roberts" <dankat@mail.myriad.net>

Hi Jan,

	Thanks for the suggestions.  I did buy several irises at once.
However, I know where I planted each of them.  Some of them did not
bloom this year.  But, I suspect the bad summer and odd winter we had, for
them not blooming.  I'm 95% sure I have the right plant.  I don't use
roundup, so that wouldn't have been a problem.  I don't recall any frosts
before it bloomed, but that's entirely a likely cause.  I don't recall if the edge
of the flower looked fried or not.

	I did try looking this problem up on a number of sites including the
mallorn site, but nothing was coming up for me.  So, I either wasn't using
the right key words or something.

	I think what I will do though, is move all the iris in this particular
bed this fall and see what happens next spring.  And oh dear, this bed is
going to be empty...  Gee...  guess I'll have to buy a few more irises to put
there <wink>.

On 9 Apr 99, at 16:50, Jan Clark wrote:

> From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
> Hi Katherine, and welcome to the list,
> >First, two years ago, I bought some irises, name unknown.  I
> >bought it in the spring right after it had bloomed, so it didn't >bloom
> >that year.  The next year (last year), a stalk grew up, and I >had 4
> >beautiful blooms (white with a ruffled reddish purple edging). >This year
> >when it bloomed, it was totally white.  What did I do >wrong?  Is there
> >any way to "fix" it?
> The pattern of your original iris (white with a coloured border) is called
> 'Plicata'. There are a number of reasons as to why this years bloom is
> white. 1. You say you bought several irises. Perhaps there was a mixture
> of colours, and this is not the same plant blooming.
> 2. Using roundup to kill weeds near your irises, will cause coloured
> irises to bloom white and sometimes distorted.
> 3. Frost burn. I had a blue and white plicata last year, that was badly
> frost damaged, and bloomed smaller and with barely any colour on the
> edges. The edged did look rather 'fried'.
> Iris do not change flower colour unless they produce a 'sport' or somatic
> mutation, which is rather rare. This topic has been thoroughly dealt with
> in the past and a search of the archives at the Mallorn site may bring
> further enlightenment. The address doesn't come to mind, but you will find
> it at the bottom of any of John Jones' postings. Enjoy the list, and ask
> as many questions as you like. I have only been growing irises for 2 years
> or so, and have learnt a lot here.
> Cheers, Jan clark
>   Jansport Daytripper the perfect pack for short spring and summer
> excursions*Key clip keeps keys handy*Front organizer pocket*Weighs1lb*
>     Capacity 2200 cu in! Members Pay $34.00*Free Shipping in US
>             http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe1

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!