Re: Bloom Report

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

I can't believe Carryl would ask for these!  No one wants to talk
about their successes! :>)

week.  Only three arilbreds left, if you count SATIN'S MISTRESS.
Sometimes I don't know which irises I like until I start anticipating
the bloom the following season and this last is one I find myself
looking forward to seeing again.  This is the first good year for
arilbred blooms even tho several got wiped out by the last freeze.
They are remarkable in the richness of color and intricate patterns
and elegant form.

Median LEMON POP.  The medians haven't done very well and
this one is too short, but a nice bloom.  Perhaps a colder winter
will help.  We're due one.

TBs are EGGNOG - a good descriptive name for the color, but I'd
forgotten it would have horns; GLACIER POINT with horns and
if ruffles are a must, then this is the way to do it; PACIFIC BELLE,
didn't get into the TB height range, but the blooms stayed in
proportion as well; and finally TOUCH OF ENVY, described in the
catalog as an Orient pink self "highlighted by greenish wash on
shoulders, green edges of petals crimped" orange beard.  Well I
think you'd have to use a lot of imagination to call it green - burnished
yellow would be better, at least under my culture.  This one is an
unusual color in an iris in my limited experience.  I would describe
it as being like Gouda cheese after the red wax has been removed.
It carries that shade strongly even from 100' feet.  Good carrying
power in color of a different tone.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7!

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!