elongated rhizomes

From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>

Hi folks,

Just a quick question:  I noticed that all of the unknown rhizomes that
were given to me by a friend last year from an unwanted patch were
fairly long and thin , some as least six inches long ! They look some
what like a pogo and are dark brown in color . Can one draw any
conclusions as to a vague possible identy or classification just by
observing the characteristics of a rhizome?  These iris have apparently
not bloomed in years.  One possibility which I considered was that maybe
they were in this condition due to being heaved out of their hard clay
bed year after year.  All I know is that they look profoundly different
to the other rhizomes that I have in my garden.  With any luck they'll
bloom in about a month or two.

I suppose we Canadians will be the last ones to submit our bloom
reports.  Bye the way , irises here love bone meal , it's by far the
most effective and nourishing to my irises here in the sandy loam north
of Montreal.

Cheers
Chris Darlington

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate