Re: elongated rhizomes

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>

>Just a quick question:  I noticed that all of the unknown rhizomes that
>were given to me by a friend last year from an unwanted patch were
>fairly long and thin , some as least six inches long ! They look some
>what like a pogo and are dark brown in color . Can one draw any
>conclusions as to a vague possible identy or classification just by
>observing the characteristics of a rhizome?  These iris have apparently
>not bloomed in years.  One possibility which I considered was that maybe
>they were in this condition due to being heaved out of their hard clay
>bed year after year.  All I know is that they look profoundly different
>to the other rhizomes that I have in my garden.  With any luck they'll
>bloom in about a month or two.

Are the rhizomes hairy?  If so, they could be louisianas.  I've not seen a
bearded iris rhizome that I would call "dark".  Mine are all light tannish
or tannish-red colored (arilbreds).  The louisianas are dark & hairy.  My
cristatas are dark & hairy, but they are very very very small.  If they are
LA's, and haven't bloomed in years, they might need better winter mulching
to protect them.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate