CULT: elongated rhizomes

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Chris Darlington
> Just a quick question:  I noticed that all of the unknown rhizomes that
> were given to me by a friend last year from an unwanted patch were
> fairly long and thin , some as least six inches long ! They look some
> what like a pogo and are dark brown in color . Can one draw any
> conclusions as to a vague possible identy or classification just by
> observing the characteristics of a rhizome?  These iris have apparently
> not bloomed in years.

What you describe is the typical growth pattern of bearded iris rhizomes
that because of overcrowding or excess shade or whatever have grown for a
number of years without blooming. The rhizomes just keep extending
themselves to greater and greater lengths, like Pinocchio's nose. No lie!

Have you visited the new ONElist home page lately?
ONElist: The Leading e-mail list and community service on the Internet!