CULT: elongated rhizomes

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Just a quick question:  I noticed that all of the unknown
> rhizomes that
> were given to me by a friend last year from an unwanted
> patch were
> fairly long and thin , some as least six inches long !
> They look some
> what like a pogo and are dark brown in color . Can one
> draw any
> conclusions as to a vague possible identy or
> classification just by
> observing the characteristics of a rhizome?  These iris
> have apparently
> not bloomed in years.  One possibility which I considered
> was that maybe
> they were in this condition due to being heaved out of
> their hard clay
> bed year after year.  All I know is that they look
> profoundly different
> to the other rhizomes that I have in my garden.  With any
> luck they'll
> bloom in about a month or two.
>
> I suppose we Canadians will be the last ones to submit
> our bloom
> reports.  Bye the way , irises here love bone meal , it's
> by far the
> most effective and nourishing to my irises here in the
> sandy loam north
> of Montreal.
>
> Cheers
> Chris Darlington

V. sez:
   Several years ago I gave rhizomes to friends of mine
that live on the edge of the NJ Pine Barrens. When I dug
them up two years later when they were moving, all of these
were elongated rhizomes, even though they were not in my
garden.
   I have heavy clay soil. They have sand. Their rhizomes
seemed to have become elongated because they didn't have to
fight the soil so much - my soil can be like a brick in
summer.
   The elongated rhizomes did not suffer from poor bloom -
they had great bloom and increase. There were several
different varieties involved, all TBs. I don't think you
can identify the variety by the rhizome shape.
   Overcrowding may be the sole reason for lack of bloom,
not elongated rhizomes.
   I used to use bone meal, but have switched to 5-10-5 due
to the lower cost.

===
vincelewonski@yahoo.com
Vince Lewonski