Re: HYB: Application for Registration

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Application for Registration
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:42:44 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Walter Moores said:
> 'Color, plus form if distinctive.'
>
> Anybody want to take a crack at that one?

Wouldn't it be nice if there were several 'standard' forms of bearded
irises?  How about space-age, bubble-ruffled, species-looking (?),
horizontal falls, 45o falls, >45o falls, open-standards, conical
standards, domed standards, fat shoulders, narrow shoulders, medium
width shoulders, or maybe just call them pre-30's style, 50's style,
etc.

I enjoyed Anner's comment about irises that we can appreciate as
'achievements' that we might not think are beautiful.  I have seen
irises from most styles and shapes that I've thought were beautiful and
others that were not.  Seems a shame not to be encouraging improvements
in vigor & substance among iris forms that are no longer stylish, but
that some of us find more beautiful than more modern forms & maybe
putting some of those options on the registration form would encourage
more acceptible diversity of form.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
http://www.ONElist.com
Come join one of the 115,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!