Re: CULT: elongated rhizomes

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/13/99 8:24:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
vincelewonski@yahoo.com writes:

<<  The elongated rhizomes did not suffer from poor bloom - they had great
bloom and increase. There were several  different varieties involved, all
TBs. I don't think you
 can identify the variety by the rhizome shape. >>

The most extraordinary elongated rhizomes I have seen were on the iris listed
on the Unknowns portion of the HIPS page as the BSU unknown. The irises had
not been divided for some time, but some of them had defintely bloomed, and
rebloomed. Anyway, this is a very vigorous iris and it was growing in what
might be termed favorable conditions and when I got permission to remove a
few rhizomes for study some of them were eighteen inches long, and generally
firm to the tip. One Y shaped one was about that long with another coming off
it that was about eight inches long. Perfectly amazing. All the growth action
fanwise was in about the last four inches.

About the shape of the rhizome as a means of identification. I've wondered
about this. You see a lot of variation in the older irises especially. Some
are short and chubby, some less so. Some produce increase all along the nodes
at the sides, and even at the back, some seem to just keep heading forward. I
hesitate to offer conclusions about any of this since my growing conditions
are crappy and a lot of the irises I'm talking about were rescued from years
of seeming neglect, but I do think that the as the leaves can, and I belive
that this formal salient, as any other, could be studied and proven useful
for distinguishing between irises, if not for identifying them.  For example,
I'd personally be hesitant to say that two historic whites growing side by
side and looking otherwise very similar were the same if they routinely
pitched up different shaped rhizomes and if thise differences persisted when
the rhizomes were grown on away from the mothers.

Anner Whitehead