Re: TB: bloom report

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: TB: bloom report
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:22:52 -0700

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

No TBs open yet in the dreadful garden, but some stalks coming on
JESSE'S SONG.

I hate to say this, but those of you in the path of the cold front that
clipped Donald Eave's blooms back ?when? last month? may have lost your
SDB, IB, BB, and early TB bloom, & maybe some of the midseason bloom,
especially if you are seeing a lot of soft rot now.  I've had a lot of
experience in that vein over the years and the critical timing is about
a month BEFORE bloom, after it's been warm, before anything is showing
the least sign of stalks coming (the sensitive tissue must be inside the
rhizome).  The soft rot tends to thrive on freeze damaged tissue.  Check
to see if terminal fans are still ok on some of your usually early
blooming TBs.

Hope I'm wrong.

Linda Mann voice of doom in east Tennessee USA.....

having a GORGEOUS spring, enjoying blooms on PIPPI LONGSTOCKINGS, SEASON
TICKET, BLUE POOLS, LITTLE SHOWOFF, RASPBERRY JAM, BEING BUSY, I.
germanica & watching stalks show tips of color on I. reichenbachii,
CRIMSON KING, I. pallida, & WILLOW WARE (thanks to swaps, purchases, and
"babysitting" from listers).  Carpets of flowers in the ravine thru the
woods and under the weeping willow at the edge of the spring fed creek -
tons of Virginia bluebells, pink Scottish "blue"bells, wonderfully
fragrant wild blue phlox, and gold poppies, plus yellow trillium,
Anemonella, native Erythronium, and several big 20 yr old patches of
multi-flowered lavender, single yellow, white, and lavender non-native
Erythronium species.

shop.theglobe.com * One Stop Shopping * Free Shipping in the U.S.!
Live Personal Shopper * Satisfaction Guaranteed * No Hassle Returns!
Accessories, Apparel, Gourmet, Jewelry, Kids, Outdoors, Sports, More!
             http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe0