Re: Bloom Report

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

I will prove I'm not a judge by expressing admiration for the
newly opened ZANTHA.  This one was intro'd in my birth year.
I wish I was holding up as well - this one sure doesn't look all
that creaky to me.  Even among neighbors like GLACIER POINT

Also new today was QUITE QUAINT.  I don't quite know what is
quaint about it, nor would I describe it as any grayer than some
of the others in the pale blue or violet category, but I did like the
mustard beards and mustard shoulder (very restrained ones)
which lent the two blooms (very nicely spaced and held) a bit
of character.

Elsewise, two sibling seedlings of the bee pollinated kind bloomed.
I use seedlings for experiments in what I can get away in iris
culture, so their growing conditions are quite variable and I will
try different growing strategies before deciding to apply them to
more valued (as in purchased) irises.  The old bi-tone purple
grandmother has given me seeds before and up 'til now has
pretty much cloned her looks to the seedlings.  Not today.  One
is a small stature really old form with a lot of burgandy.  The other
is a tall, large self with a pyramid shape - wide falls, not really
narrow at the hafts but appearing narrow because of the very
broad end and the standards cone up and touch enhancing the
pyramid effect.  But what really caught my eye on the lilac color,
was a light wash of turquoise blue below the beard.  When I looked
close, this same turquoise color shimmers under the surface of
the standards, being more obvious on the midribs.  I may let this
stay put awhile in the midst of daylilies and watered with a soaker
hose.  For all that it doesn't appear to have much substance, it
came through a very windy day without any visible damage.  Fun
to grow these, even tho nearly all are composted sooner or later,
usually sooner

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate