SPEC:VERSICOLOR

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.Lakeheadu.Ca>

On April 9  Ian, from Ottawa said:

<I. versicolor originated a cross between virginica and
setosa [hookeri]. >
------------------------

Does this mean that if I cross an I. Virginica Shrevei with
an I. Setosa Hookeri's pollen, that if any seeds were
produced and these were grown out, that these seedlings
would be I. Versicolors?

Does it make any difference whether the Virginica or
Setosa is the pod parent? Is it easy or difficult
to get seeds from this cross?

Does this mean that seedlings from a cross between an I.
Virginica (non-Shrevei) with a west coast (non-Hookeri)
Setosa would not be I. Versicolors. These would be just
'difficult to tell apart from' Versicolors?

I received some I. Virginica seeds from the last SIGNA seed
exchange. I wanted to grow some I. Virginica Shrevei near I.
Versicolor but in a different row to compare them. I grew up
in Iowa and remember seeing wild irises (probably
Virginicas). When I moved to Ontario and saw I. Versicolors
I thought they were the same species.

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario
dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca

Tired of empty chat rooms and out of date bulletin boards?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist: Making the Internet Intimate