SPEC: I. lactea

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: "Walter Moores"
> 	I have seeds sprouting on   I. Lactea and have some plants on
> order.  What kind of setting are your plants in?  Shade, woodsy soil
> or what?  I am just getting started on species and fear I may have
> too much sun.

In his book "Irises of China", James Waddick comments. "I. lactea is not a
water iris, but a plant of grassland, dry steppe, and uncultivated places
in China and across the (former) Soviet Union."

I grow lactea in full sun with a water regime like that for spuria -
well-watered through bloom season and dry thereafter until signs of active
growth resume in the fall. I don't think that it would care for too much
shade, though Utah is not "Baja".

BTW, your idiosyncratic use of the term "Baja" seems to have disoriented
Mike Sutton. From a recent posting to the list he appears to be under the
impression that you are located somewhere on the sunny side of Tijuana. (-:

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of the 115,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!