Re: MDB & SDB: Public relations

From: Diana <mikesmom@ix.netcom.com>

The public in general around here do not consider them (dwarfs)
We've gotten the same lack of interest here and I still don't understand
  The little guys take the weather extremes in stride, bloom in almost
any kind of soil, increase like weeds, and give tons of color when
almost nothing else is blooming.

I'm going to jump in here, so here goes. About five years ago, I was
forced to plant the small ones, and haven't regretted it since. They are
the first ones to bloom, and continue with the taller ones.

If it's a small clump, they don't show off well, but after being in the
ground for two years max., the clump is large enough that I usually have
at least 10 to 15 bloom stalks. And what a show that is! If anyone gets
a tall bearded from me, they usually get a median also as an "extra" to
put in front of the TB. I've grown espically fond of the little guys,
and it's fast becoming a 50/50 garden with them. They don't rot as bad,
they don't die if covered, and still bloom their little hearts out!

I've noticed that they can also take more water than the TB's, and this
year I plan on digging my larger clumps and planting them on the front
border of my Louisiana beds. I don't drown my Louisianas, but still give
them just enough water, so I'll find out just how suitable they are in
this way. Just think of the possibilities if they can take water like
the Louisianas.

Diana Winship
Richardson, Tx. - the weather's gorgeous, everything's blooming but,
we're not yet at peak. Can't wait for the TBIS & Pre-Convention Tour
next weekend!!!!!

You can now easily share photos and documents with your fellow list members
Check out our homepage for details on how to use our new shared files feature!