CULT: New Rot Queen?

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Ellen Gallagher
>
> 	However, move over Linda, I have stolen your crown and scepter
> 	as the Rot Queen. Yes, it is sad but true. Everyday, more soft
> 	rot appears here due to the early departure of our snow cover ...(clip)
>
> 	I have only been in the garden sparingly (temp. will reach a
> 	high of 35 degrees today

Ellen,

You speak of soft rot, but your temperatures seem rather low for you to
experience an outbreak of infectious (bacterial) soft rot. Have you by
chance been (dis)favored by a visitation of Botrytis, the bane of the late
winter/early spring transition in the low numbered Zones? Either way the
treatment is pretty much the same, though if Botrytis is the culprit,
application of a fungicide might aid in preventing its further spread, and
warming temperatures will put a stop to it until next year (there are no
more Botrytis problems here after average daytime temperatures rise
reliably above 40 degrees).

Hope that whatever your problem is it clears up soon!

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Looking to expand your world?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist has over 115,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!