Re: MED: MTB - Blue Chip Stock

From: "S&C Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>

Sterling, the only way I know that an iris can be called tetraploid is: 1.
if it is from two tetraploid parents, 2. it is tested and proven to be a
tetraploid  3.  if it crosses readily and gives fertile seeds with
tetraploids, some people will assume that it too, is a tetraploid.
As I have had it explained to me, a cross between an SDB x TB yields an IB
that is usually (not always) infertile.  It does not contain the same number
of chromosomes that a TB has.  I've never heard of ECHO POND, but I have
heard of EVENING POND (unfortunately, it died here before blooming) and I
believe it was a diploid.  Perhaps Paul Black treated the seed?  I don't
know, but it sounds unbalanced to me, thereby fluffing up my plans to use it
in hybridizing!  Ah, well...

Cindy Rust, Missouri

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!