TB: Historic ID

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

	For several years I have admired the 1940's irises growing in a well
manicured bed on the north side of a white frame cottage on the road
to a faux ante-bellum mansion in the quaint little town of Oakland,
MS, as I travel to  work three days a week.  Standing like a  beacon
in that bed is a copper bronze iris that always catches my attention
during bloom season.  Last summer I met the lady who lives in the
cottage and I inquired about this iris.  Of course, she didn't know
the name.  Since I had admired it, she brought me three or four
rhizomes last fall (I had wondered if she remembered where they were
and if she had dug from the right clump.)  The terminal on one of the
stalks bloomed today.  This is quite an iris for its vintage.  The
standards are conical and are solid copper bronze.  The falls are
copper bronze with a rose flush. There are absolutely no haft marks
or reticulations anywhere on the falls.  The falls also tuck under
somewhat like an arilbred.  I would say also that these falls  are
unusually clean for an iris bred fifty odd years ago.  The stalk is
about 28" high and the buds hug it like many did in those days.

	Without a picture (I hope to get one when the wind dies down today
and the sun comes out), would anybody hazard a quess at to what it
might be?

	Thanks for your prompt attention to this matter.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (Asking Donald Eaves not to send us any more of
his shredding wind...will be forwarding same to the Tennessee Rot
Queen for her enjoyment)

Did you know that knowledge is power?
Join a new ONElist e-mail community and strengthen your mind!