Re: TB: J.S. Woodsworth

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Sandy Ives wrote:
> > A (partial) description for "J. S. Woodsworth" (Bartlett-E. '44) is
'B7D'.
> > I read this as blue standards with pink to red toned falls, but the
> > overall predominent colour is dark blue.
> > 1.) Can this be confirmed?

Sandy,

The color coding system is somewhat arcane, but I do not think you have got
quite the right interpretation. I would translate 'B7D' as a deep red (or
pink) toned blue self - in other words, a solid purple iris.

> > 2.) Anyone know a source?

No. The Checklist indicates it was not introduced, but the '49 checklist
overlooked the introduction dates of many cultivars that were introduced.

> > 3.) The parents are (Nene X Black Wings).  What does the register mean
by
> > 'Etc.' in these parents?  I can't quite puzzle it out.

'Etc.' should be interpreted as meaning something like "remaining
information the same as in the previous entry for this cultivar" (There is
no 'etc.' in the entry for J.S. Woodsworth, and no previous entry, either)

> > J.S. Woodworth was a very important political figure in Canada, so I
can
> > restrict further searches to left-wing Canadian politicians active in
the
> > 1920's-1940's.

How appropriate to name a "red or pink toned" iris for him, then! (-:

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Has ONElist changed your life?
http://www.ONElist.com
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!