Re: TB: Historic ID

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 4/15/99 5:29:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< Without a picture (I hope to get one when the wind dies down today
 and the sun comes out), would anybody hazard a quess at to what it
 might be? >>

Walta, you got a time constraint on that ID? I sense urgency......

Have you considered sending a rhizome to the HIPS ID Chairman to grow on for
study? In some few circumstances involving an exceptionally distinctive iris
he is especially familiar with he can also work from a photo.

The first question that arises in any situation like this is whether the iris
shows PBF (purple based foliage) at any time during the season. I say at any
time because this most useful discriminator may come and go. My unknown on
the HIPS page called Bowing Green Beauty showed not one iota of PBF at
seasons end, despite being a strongly colored variegata, but this spring we
have observed strong PBF which has reopened some possibilities for

Your iris sounds very wonderful, Walta, and I sure hope you can get us a
photo to look at.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society

Looking for a new hobby?  Want to make a new friend?
Come join one of the 115,000 e-mail communities at ONElist!