Re: tetraploid

From: Vicki Craig <craigiris@earthlink.net>

I don't know exactly what would happen. However, BLUE CHIP STOCK is not
a 48 chromosome tetraploid. I make this statement based on the known
parentage. It may produce seed, it may even produce viable seed. The
seedlings may or may not be fertile. As you may be well aware SDB's
crossed with TB's and produce IB"s some of which are fertile. But they
are not 48 chromosome tetraploids. Unless, of course you are using 48 c
SDB's. If you want to work solely with 48 chromosome tetraploids than
you will have to use the same.

We have been working in this field (reducing in proportion 48 chromosome
iris) for many years. We have developed proportionately small bearded
iris that range in height from 8" to 30". Most fall into the 21" to 22"
range. Ben Hager has introduced quite a few small bearded iris that are
also 48 c. In fact, Ben has helped us a great deal over the years by
sharing his stock with us.  Bee Warburton, who sent us some of her
things way back, also did work with the aphylla 48 c iris. Gordon Plough
did a little hybridizing with small 48's but only introduced one to my
knowledge. It was named FLARETTE, if my memory serves me. David Sindt
introduced the two mentioned EVENING POND and ECHO POND before he passed
away. I believe Lynn Markham, Ken Fisher,  Terry Varner, and Brad
Kasperak to name a few, are all working with small aphylla derivitives
and hopefully many more irisarians will join in. The field is in its
infancy and has so many great possibilities. Lynn Markham has introduced
an improved aphylla called BRIGHT WATER. Next year we will introduce
MINNOW which is an improved aphylla from a different background. These
last two mentioned iris are 48 chromosome of very diminutive size.

One of the bigest benefits you get with the aphylla seedlings is
multiple branching and bud count on proportionately fine stalks.
Incidentally, the newer MTB's are now falling within all class
requirements and have clear clean colors, lots of flare and even

S&C Rust wrote:
> From: "S&C Rust" <srust@fidnet.com>
> Vicki, thank you for clarifying the tetraploid debate further.  What, in
> your opinion, would happen if BLUE CHIP STOCK were crossed with a tetraploid
> TB?  Could any of the offspring (presumming seed was obtained) be considered
> 48 chromosome tetraploid?  I'm sure others on this list would be curious
> about this information.
> Cindy Rust
> Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
> http://www.ONElist.com
> Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!

Has ONElist changed your life?
Visit our homepage and share with us your experiences at ONElist of the Week!