Fw: Bearded iris in Hawaii?

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Robbins <rrob@ilhawaii.net>
To: irs-talk@onelist.com <irs-talk@onelist.com>
Date: Friday, April 16, 1999 10:21 PM
Subject: Bearded iris in Hawaii?

Aloha from the big island,
I wonder if anyone could recommend a moderately priced digital camera with a good macro mode? It's a lot like trying to decide which iris to select, when there are so many to choose from. Please contact me privately at rrob@ilhawaii.net
 I ran across a beautiful bearded iris (white self about 12" tall )growing in someone's yard.Of course the owner didn't have a clue where it came from ( friend of a friend...) or what it's name was. It really took me by surprise since TB's and or MED's don't usually make it here due to our excessive rainfall and year round warm temps. I traded him for some daylilies and took them up to high country (4000'), where I potted them. Hopefully this will allow me to at least control the amount of water they receive. I suspect his soil (which was at sea level) had become so compacted over the years, that most of the rain water never even penetrated it.  The gentleman was in his 90's and said they had been there for a very long time! ( and yet, there were only about 12 of them all together.) And now there's 9!!
From an iris starved human in the middle of a  rain forest.  Zone11, wet & sticky.